As a stay-at-home mom with one kid, we basically live on one income. By the time I have learned how to live frugal. It´s funny because I love fashion, I love clothes, and I love shopping, but I barely buy new clothes. My son is always in the first place. He grows so fast that he needs new clothes like every other month. But how to accomplish buying new clothing pieces when you have a tight budget? Here are few tips how to save some money so you can buy what you actually love.
1. Keep it simple: When you´re in a shopping spree, try to go for classics. Not all modern and trendy pieces are must-haves. First thing you should do is to know what you actually have in your closet before buying new item. By choosing basics, you won´t have to buy as many new clothes so often.
2. Take care of your clothes: If you properly care of your clothes, they will last you longer than you thought.
3. Sell your old clothes: For every new item you buy, get rid of one you don´t wear anymore.
4. Shop out of season: I know it´s a hard thing when you buy new sweater in summer to wait ´till colder days will come. But it will save you tons of money to buy summer pieces in winter and winter pieces in summer, as they are significantly cheaper out of season.
5. Cut your wardrobe: Before buying new clothes, always know what you actually own. Try to organize your closet by pieces and colors so when you´ll be amazed by those new striped dress, you´ll remember that you actually own the same or similar one.
6. Pick your color scheme: It´s always a good thing to know what colors suit you best and what colors are not for you. Try to stick with your own color palette. This can save a lot of money and you won´t end up buying a new item you have nothing to wear with.
7. Befriend a good tailor: Finding a good tailor can be life changing! You can always rework your clothes you already have or revamp your steal buys.
8. Learn some DIY: Some sewing basics are always helpful to fix your clothes, but if you´re not happy with your accessories, you can always revamp it with new colors.
9. The rule of three: If you are not able to limit your wardrobe into few colors, make sure your new item goes with at least three items you already have in your closet.
10. Sales of the year:
- After Christmas: Yes, you got a lot of stuff under the Christmas tree, but the biggest sales are right after Christmas.
- March: What´s in March? A lot of winter stuff stores are trying to get rid off. You can end up with tons of jackets, coats, sweaters, scarves, boots, etc., etc. just for few bucks.
- NSale: Nordstrom has their anniversary sale in July. You can shoot for some designer pieces for a fraction of price.
- Black Friday: You can find great Christmas gifts on these sales. Lot of stores will offer 50 – 75 % off everything! That´s a lot. You can end up with amazing deals and with Christmas presents for everyone even before December starts.
And a last little advice, always buy clothes for the life you actually live. Other benefits besides saving some money are, that you will have cleaner closet with matching and “go-to” pieces, and you don´t have to worry about what to wear tomorrow to work or in 5 minutes with your friends.
How do you save money on clothes? Share in the comments below, or head over to my Facebook page to help other readers to save some money, too.
Don´t forget to subscribe to my newsletter to stay up to date with my latest posts. 🙂