Where are those times when I was up ´till 3 a. m. and woke up fresh and full of energy at 6 a. m.? I think those times are gone for good. At least for me. When I was at college, I was able to go to handball trainings twice a day and keep up with my school schedule like it was the easiest thing in the world. But by the time, I stopped playing handball, graduated from college, came to real life and became a mom. And I don´t know whether it came with age, but the night full of sleep is one of the most important things for me. There are so many things that can keep us from getting asleep. For example, for me the evening is the time of the day, when my baby sleeps and I enjoy the quiet moment and try to do things I wasn´t able to do during the day, or check my phone and all social media accounts. So quite often I stay up late. To get a proper and lengthy night´s sleep should be everyone´s priority. So here are some tips to create a healthy nighttime routine to get quality sleep.
- Write your to-do list or your thoughts in the journal for the next day before going to bed.
- Turn off your electronics in the evening, instead reach for some good book.
- Have your phone out of the reach, on a quiet or flight mode.
- Do a gentle stretching before going to bed or make some breathing exercises or meditation.
- Try to eat healthy meals for dinner or light evening snacks for better digest.
- Stop drinking caffeine at least 6 – 8 hours before bed.
- Make sure to tidy your bed up every morning.
- Open the window, keep the fresh air flow in, and keep your bedroom slightly cold.
And I can continue on and on. The list is long. Everything depends on your own lifestyle and the decisions you are making during the day. But what´s better than waking up fresh and energized every morning?
What are your nightly habits for a better sleep?